6 weeks up to 1 year old
Teacher/children ratio is 1:5
Our main goal is for you to feel that your baby is secure and loved with us. It is important to give each child the opportunities and experiences that will allow them to learn and grow in a safe and nurturing environment. We will get to know your baby and his or her schedule as quickly as possible. You can help us by providing the schedule that your child has been on at home. Also, let us know likes and dislikes, sleeping position, or anything else you can think of that will help your child’s first few days in child care go more smoothly. The children in our classroom eat and nap on their own schedule.
Diaper checks are done hourly. Cribs and swings are used for napping. Play time is spent on the floor or in an infant seat. A daily report will be sent home with information of the day’s feedings, naps and diaper changes.
Crib sheets are changed daily, and/or as needed (i.e., spit up). All surfaces and toys are cleaned with bleach water throughout the day as needed. The changing table is sanitized after each use. Gloves are worn during diaper changes. We wash our hands every time we change a diaper, wipe a nose, clean a spit up and always before feeding or handling food or bottles.
All the hand washing, cleaning, and sanitizing we do is, of course, to keep illness at a minimum in our room. Children with the following symptoms, regardless of the cause, must be kept at home until they have been symptom free for 24 hours:
- Temperature of 100 (under the arm)
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- An undiagnosed rash
- Sore or discharging eyes, ears or profuse nasal discharge
*These symptoms are most frequently the result of viral infections and are easily transmitted in young infants.
When coming to visit your baby during the day, remember to consider the other infants who may be asleep. Babies often cry when strangers enter the room and may continue to cry until the stranger has left. If the other babies seem to be upset by your visit, it may work out better for you and your baby to visit together away from the room, then when you need to get back to work, bring your child back to the classroom. Siblings may be considered strangers by the other infants as well, please leave them in their classroom or in the hall while you get your baby. Be considerate and pick up your baby before you pick up older siblings. We do want you to visit and feel comfortable; however we want you to be aware of the “big” picture.
While visiting with your child in the room, it will be up to you to give scheduled feedings or diaper changes. Once baby sees his/her parent, she/he may get upset if the teacher tries to take over those duties while mom or dad is here.
There are a few things you will need to provide:
- Bottles and , if you use it, special formula
- Diapers – plan on 9-10 per day. Most parents bring a week’s supply at a time.
- Two full changes of clothes, including socks in a labeled zip lock bag.
- Shoes when children begin pulling up to walk. Bibs are provided.
- Anything you bring from home, such as bottles, clothes, blankets, etc., should have your child’s name written on it in permanent marker (first initial, last name).
- Diaper Cream- Even if you think they do not need it. Babies sometimes become red very quickly and we like to have cream on hand, just in case. Please label with baby’s name.
Needs of Infants – how we meet them
- we provide baby formula (regular – Kirkland brand), baby food and cereal at no extra cost to the parents
- water for formula preparation is always filtered and boiled
- we wash and sanitize bottles between every feeding
- we keep breast milk in the fridge
- we keep and provide parents with accurate daily records of the kinds and amounts of food and drink given to their child
- we disinfect changing area after every baby
- we wash our hands thoroughly after each diaper change (even though we use gloves to do so)
- we use this occasion to talk to baby
- we never leave baby on the changing table alone or turn our back from the baby
- we keep daily records of bowel movements and diaper change times